Program Rowing Monday and Wednesday Eves (spring to fall) & Saturday and Sunday Mornings - Experienced Rowers Only
If you are not a False Creek member, but are an experienced rower capable of rowing a single on his/her own, we usually allow for 2 Free Rows in order to "test" us out although registration with RCA/Rowing BC to allow for insurance is required. However, due to COVID-19 we are temporarily unable to offer guest rows. We are still open to new members and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the club. Please direct questions to questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca
We hope to see you out on the water!
Rowing Lessons on False Creek
Thanks to support from the Government of Canada through the Canada Summer Jobs program, we are able to offer a limited number of rowing lessons to people this summer (2021). Please contact questions at falsecreekrowingclub dot ca if you are interested. At present all lessons will be in groups of four where you will learn the basics of sculling in quads, doubles, and singles. The club's rowing lessons are comprised of 8 classes, with each lesson about 2 hours long in addition to the washing and sanitizing protocols that need to take place. Please plan for a 3 hour block of time so that you aren't rushed.
Here are some basic details of our beginner lesson program:
- Only a paid entry reserves your seat in a class.
- Learn to Row lessons are designed for those who have never rowed before, or someone who has done a little bit of rowing and wants a refresh and to improve upon their very basic rowing skills. If you have rowed before, please contact us for other options.
- Participants must be able to swim.
- Learn to Row classes begin at our Vanier Park location.
- The first class covers the safety instructions from the RCA safety video. You can watch this video here.
- We do understand there can be emergencies and related absences, but overall please plan to attend all lessons in your session or give us as much notice as possible.
- The cost for 2021is $325 (plus Rowing Canada Aviron and Rowing BC membership) payable in advance. This figure does not include required membership in RowingBC and Rowing Canada Aviron that expires at the end of March next year.
- If you are looking for videos on how to row, there are some excellent ones from Australia for coaches that are also appropriate to new rowers: for rowing machines and rowing on the water.
Please contact us before registering for classes using the RCA website here, at our email address: questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca. We don't have the resources to have someone available throughout the day to answer phones: email allows us to reply when we are able - thank you for understanding.
Some basic questions might be answered with this document here: welcome to the False Creek Rowing Club rowing lessons!
We can provide one-to-one private lessons with a contracted coach who can tailor a schedule specifically with you outside of our existing regular participant and member program time slots. If you are interested in private lessons, please send an email to questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca. Our private lessons are guided by this agreement between you and your coach.
False Creek Rowing Club does not presently offer specific rowing programs designed for youth (under 18 years) at this time. If you are under 18, you are welcome to join the adults in our group lessons, or arrange for private lessons. Your parent or guardian will have to sign the waivers and acknowledgements of risk with you. Please contact us through questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca.
We are able to provide these lessons with financial assistance from the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.
We acknowledge that our compound is located on the village of Sen̓áḵw, within the traditional territories of the Squamish First Nation