Program Rowing Monday & Wednesday Eves (spring to fall) & Saturday Mornings - Experienced Rowers Only
FCRC Learn to Row graduates or experienced FCRC members can join our open rowing sessions currently being held on Monday, Wednesdays at 6pm (until the light fades) and Saturdays starting at 7:45am. This is an open row, supervised by a coach whose primary responsibility is safety for the rowers.
If you are not a False Creek member, but are an experienced rower capable of rowing a single on his/her own, we do allow for 2 Free Rows in order to "test" us out although registration with RCA/Rowing BC to allow for insurance is required. Please direct questions to questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca
We hope to see you out on the water!
Rowing Lessons on False Creek
Group lessons are held in May, June and July each year. For 2019 we will be holding group lessons in sculling boats. Classes for 4 people will start every 2 weeks.
In 2019, classes will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 4 weeks for a total of 8 classes. The lessons will cost $265 exclusive of Rowing BC and Rowing Canada Aviron membership. Note that the RCA and Rowing BC memberships will run from the first day of class to March 31, 2020. Membership in those organizations are required for people participating in programs throughout the province (and with RCA nationally). Class dates are as follows:
- Group 1: [sold out] starting Tuesday May 7th on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday May 30th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 2: [sold out] starting Tuesday May 21st on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday June 13th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 3: [sold out] starting Tuesday June 4th on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday June 27th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 4: [sold out] starting Tuesday June 18th on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday July 11th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 5: [sold out] starting Tuesday July 2nd on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday July 25th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 6: [sold out] starting Tuesday July 16th on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday August 8th, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
- Group 7: [sold out] starting Tuesday July 30th on Tuesdays and Thursdays until Thursday August 22nd, from 6 pm until 7:45 pm
Here are some basic details of our beginner lesson program:
- Only a paid entry reserves your seat in a class.
- Learn to Row lessons are designed for those who have never rowed before, or someone who has done a little bit of rowing and wants a refresh and to improve upon their very basic rowing skills. If you have rowed before, please contact us for other options.
- Participants must be able to swim.
- Learn to Row classes occur twice a week for 4 weeks in the evenings starting at 6:00pm (sharp) - 7:45 pm starting at our Vanier Park location.
- The first class covers the safety instructions from the RCA safety video. You can watch this video here.
- We ask that you be available for all the lessons as the group learning process is cumulative. Of course we do understand there can be emergencies and related absences, but overall please plan to attend all lessons in your session.
- The cost for 2019 is $265 payable in advance. This fee will be reviewed for 2018 lessons. This figure does not include required membership in RowingBC and Rowing Canada Aviron that expires at the end of March next year.
Before registering for classes using the RCA website here, please contact us at questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca. Please note we do not have a phone number for the FCRC. We don't have the resources to have someone available throughout the day to answer phones and email allows us to reply when we are able - thank you for understanding.
Some basic questions might be answered with this document here: welcome to the False Creek Rowing Club rowing lessons!
Please note that the class times are as posted. If you would like to inquire about different lesson times, please inquire about private lessons.
We can provide one-to-one private lessons with a contracted coach who can tailor a schedule specifically with you outside of our existing regular participant and member program time slots. If you are interested in private lessons, please send an email to questions at falsecreekrowingclub.ca. Our private lessons are guided by this agreement between you and your coach.
False Creek Rowing Club does not presently offer specific rowing programs designed for youth (under 18 years) at this time. Some good places to go that have strong youth rowing programs (in alphabetical order):
If you are under 18, you are welcome to join the adults in our group lessons, or arrange for private lessons. Your parent or guardian will have to sign the waivers and acknowledgements of risk with you. Our equipment is designed for adults - if you are under 15 please contact us.