Head Up The Creek 2016 will be held on Sunday March 6th, 2016
Head Up The Creek 2015 - Sunday March 15th, 2015
City of Vancouver Rowing Champion
By proclamation of Mayor Gregor Robertson, the City of Vancouver Rowing Champion is awarded to the overall winner of the 2015 Head Up The Creek Regatta: Jon Moss and Gary Cumiford of the Nicomekl Rowing Club in South Surrey.
The overall winner is the crew with the highest efficiency ratio (elapsed time divided by their predicted time as determined by the tables below) and the crew will be added to a perpetual trophy and will be awarded a cake. Predicted times are based on fastest times at the Head Of The Charles for comparable boat types accounting for age, gender, boat type and novice-ness.
In addition to being the last Head Race of the season, the regatta was host to the second largest number of para-rowing entries of any head race on the planet as far as I can have been able to determine. Thank you to those athletes who came up from Calfornia and Washington State to participate in the merriment.
The efficiency measurement is based on the winners at the Head of the Charles, which is the most competitive head race in the world. If you are new to rowing, and the same age as some of the Olympians at the Head of the Charles who are rowing in the same boat type as you, please understand that this ratio, like a fine wine, will improve with time and training.
Thank you for all those that competed in the event this year. From my perspective it looked to be much smoother than last year due to yourselves being more on the ball, our volunteers and the people who helped put on a great event:
- Sam Sullivan, MLA Vancouver - False Creek for being part of our awards ceremony.
- Raymond Louie, Acting Mayor & City Councillor - City of Vancouver for spending time at the site talking to Rowing BC, and our organizers.
- Doug Taylor, Supervisor - Kitsilano and False Creek Community Centres for spending time understanding how our event operates and learning more about our sport.
- Aquabus and False Creek Ferries for actively and successfully avoiding crossing your paths, and their desire to keep the waters of False Creek as calm as possible.
- West Marine for letting us use their big yellow turn markers
- Safeways at Cardero and Davie for donating our large boat prize cakes, and Cupcakes for an excellent deal on our small boat cupcakes.
- Vancouver College, their 6 young men and Alex their coach and 4 safety boats
- Jericho Sailing Centre Associaton Rescue team for their 5 members, 2 safety boats and the help they provided to a couple of damp people.
- Kitsilano Yacht Club for their 2 race boats and crews, and the help that they also provided to the same damp people with Jericho Rescue.
- False Creek Yacht Club for their assistance with a safety boat for the para racing and during the interval between races.
- Rowing BC's umpires (Mike B, Carolyn, Margaret, Susan, Mike R, Mark, Peter, Maria and Malcolm) for doing what they do best.
- This Little Piggy for catering our event with free coffee.
- Several members of the Rowing BC organization who came to participate and help: Jennifer Fitzpatrick, Ian Gordon and Martin George.
- The people who helped our para athletes get in and out of boats: Julie, Phil, Matthias and Bill in particular.
- And the volunteers who put on our event: Shelley from Nicomekl, Jennifer B, Barbara, Jessica, Rebecca, Yvetter, Helen, Jennifer R, David from VRC, Rory, Kuhan, Don, Ben, Peter, Leo, John L, David, John S., and Duncan.
Results (and please read the thank you bit above, or there would be no results to offer):
- Photos from this and previous years from the False Creek photography family...
- Photos from Row2K for 2015
Regatta Central has been our registration agent again for 2015: https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/index.jsp?job_id=3952 The regatta package is effectively available there.
- 7:45 am Bow Person and Cox meeting at the top of the ramp by the map
- 8:00 Umpires Meeting with Regatta Chair
- 8:30 Launch for first flight opens
- 8:50 Beach Closes for para-rowers
- 9:00 Beach Closes
- 9:30 First Flight begins
- 10:25 First Flight completes
- 10:30 Launch for second flight opens
- 11:00 Beach Closes
- 11:30 Second Flight begins
- 12:10 Second Flight completes
- 1:00 pm Prizegiving
Directions getting to the regatta:
Wondering how to drive your trailer here: after turning west onto Cornwall from Burrard, turn north onto Chestnut, Cypress or Arbutus. Don't miss them or you are going to be in a hard spot trying to negotiate the left turn at Macdonald.
Youtube videos showing the route from Burrard Street to the launch point are here:
- showing the route from Burrard Street (northbound) to Cornwall to Chestnut to Whyte Avenue.
- showing the route from Burrard Street (northbound) to Cornwall to Cypress to Greer to Chestnut to Whyte Avenue.
Head Up The Creek Regatta – Sunday March 9th, 2014…
2014 Photos! (by Helen Gould)