Head Up The Creek 2016 will be held on Sunday March 6th, 2016
City of Vancouver Rowing Champion
The overall winner, and City of Vancouver Rowing Champion is the crew with the highest efficiency ratio (predicted time divided by their actual time as determined by the tables below) and the crew will be added to a perpetual trophy and will be awarded a cake and etched glasses. Predicted times (Eights | Fours | Quads | Doubles | Singles) are based on the Head Of The Charles results for comparable boat types accounting for age, gender, boat type and novice-ness. Please understand that this ratio, like a fine wine, will improve with time and training. By entering the regatta, you agree that the ratio is fair and equitable and may not submit appeals or objections based on it or its calculations.
Regatta Central will be our registration agent again for 2016: https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/index.jsp?section=overview&job_id=4385 The regatta package is effectively available there.
Tide information is here. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/1873.html?y=2016&m=3&d=6 in case you are interested.
- 7:45 am Bow Person and Cox meeting at the top of the ramp by the map
- 8:00 Umpires Meeting with Regatta Chair
- 8:30 Launch for first flight opens
- 8:50 Beach Closes for para-rowers
- 9:00 Beach Closes
- 9:30 First Flight begins
- 10:25 First Flight completes
- 10:30 Launch for second flight opens
- 11:00 Beach Closes
- 11:30 Second Flight begins
- 12:10 Second Flight completes
- 1:00 pm Prizegiving
Directions getting to the regatta:
Wondering how to drive your trailer here: after turning west onto Cornwall from Burrard, turn north onto Chestnut, Cypress or Arbutus. Don't miss them or you are going to be in a hard spot trying to negotiate the left turn at Macdonald.
Youtube videos showing the route from Burrard Street to the launch point are here:
- showing the route from Burrard Street (northbound) to Cornwall to Chestnut to Whyte Avenue.
- showing the route from Burrard Street (northbound) to Cornwall to Cypress to Greer to Chestnut to Whyte Avenue.
Head Up The Creek Regatta – 2015…
By proclamation of Mayor Gregor Robertson, the City of Vancouver Rowing Champion is awarded to the overall winner of the 2015 Head Up The Creek Regatta: Jon Moss and Gary Cumiford of the Nicomekl Rowing Club in South Surrey.In addition to being the last Head Race of the season, the regatta was host to the second largest number of para-rowing entries of any head race on the planet as far as I can have been able to determine. Thank you to those athletes who came up from Calfornia and Washington State to participate in the merriment.
Thank you for all those that competed in this event. From my perspective it looked to be much smoother than last year due to yourselves being more on the ball, our volunteers and the people who helped put on a great event:
- Sam Sullivan, MLA Vancouver - False Creek for being part of our awards ceremony.
- Raymond Louie, Acting Mayor & City Councillor - City of Vancouver for spending time at the site talking to Rowing BC, and our organizers.
- Doug Taylor, Supervisor - Kitsilano and False Creek Community Centres for spending time understanding how our event operates and learning more about our sport.
- Aquabus and False Creek Ferries for actively and successfully avoiding crossing your paths, and their desire to keep the waters of False Creek as calm as possible.
- West Marine for letting us use their big yellow turn markers
- Safeways at Cardero and Davie for donating our large boat prize cakes, and Cupcakes for an excellent deal on our small boat cupcakes.
- Vancouver College, their 6 young men and Alex their coach and 4 safety boats
- Jericho Sailing Centre Associaton Rescue team for their 5 members, 2 safety boats and the help they provided to a couple of damp people.
- Kitsilano Yacht Club for their 2 race boats and crews, and the help that they also provided to the same damp people with Jericho Rescue.
- False Creek Yacht Club for their assistance with a safety boat for the para racing and during the interval between races.
- Rowing BC's umpires (Mike B, Carolyn, Margaret, Susan, Mike R, Mark, Peter, Maria and Malcolm) for doing what they do best.
- This Little Piggy for catering our event with free coffee.
- Several members of the Rowing BC organization who came to participate and help: Jennifer Fitzpatrick, Ian Gordon and Martin George.
- The people who helped our para athletes get in and out of boats: Julie, Phil, Matthias and Bill in particular.
- And the volunteers who put on our event: Shelley from Nicomekl, Jennifer B, Barbara, Jessica, Rebecca, Yvetter, Helen, Jennifer R, David from VRC, Rory, Kuhan, Don, Ben, Peter, Leo, John L, David, John S., and Duncan.
2015 Results (and please read the thank you bit above, or there would be no results to offer):